I managed to only drink five times over the past month*. This included a 15 day stretch of not a single drop of alcohol.
It’s too early to tell if I’m going to make it, but it’s a good start. It even brings my new mathematical average up to eight drinking sessions per month from here on in.
But, I’m not going to bore you with a long-winded story about my findings, but for those interested, here’s some solid points about my January:
- I’ve definitely saved cash and bought some new things for my bike/ work vehicle I would’ve avoided buying.
- Starting a new job is fucken’ shit if you’re not social drinking. One night I even rode my bike to a team bonding session at the pub when my phone went flat and couldn’t find the venue. I went home and had cheese toasties. The Beer Gods punched me in the dick that night and my new colleagues think I’m a fogwuss (definition: a pussy who slows down when approaching fog — Urban Dictionary Proof). This is certainly a different start to my first job in advertising where the first time I drank with the team I got so pissed I passed out on a bridge in the middle of Sydney Harbour.
- I had nil sex, but I wasn’t dating in January, so yet to test out my first date with no booze. Begs the question — Will she be worth a token?
- I went to my first networking event sober…I don’t mind these events because you can usually smash a few free beers and get into the spirit of pitching ideas. But here I am in trendy Camden Town, staring at the delicious crispy fresh Monday Beers when I have to get a soda water in a wine glass to make it less obvious I’d stepped into fog. First of all - I hate soda water (what dickhead invented it). And Second - I open the bottle and spray the shit out of the four people around me. They’ve got suits, I do not. I’m that guy. Silver lining- a man named Peter approached me later and said “you’re the clown who sprayed everyone with soft drink”. We had a laugh and it turns out he was one of the best contacts I made.
- I farken make it count when I drink now, which leads to record bowling scores and loss of memory.
- I’m eating more chocolate cake than ever before. It’s a substitute I’m willing to accept.
Token Days Off — Drink Less, Live More
(The things you do instead of drinking are ALMOST the most important things you learn)
It’s a knobhead thing to say — cue wanky American accent “ I quit drinking and I had so much time I started my own business. And now I’ve got a wife who hates me and got punched in the throat by a Mormon”. The last bit was for effect, BUT! I did start my own business in 2015 and all the logistics were finalised in January. Less drinking surely played a part.
GOODSEATS — Here it is
Stats: 5 Drinking Sessions. 2/5 worth it. £165 spent in total.
Finally, I was speaking with a friend the other afternoon - let’s call him Winston - and we were discussing abstaining from things and looking at life as one big experiment. The result: I’m turning this bad boy up and each month I’ll be relinquishing a privilege as well as doing the Token Game.
This month is porn…. Best get that date sorted!
101 Beer Tokens: What I learned from ‘What I learned from not drinking for two years’
A few days ago I was checking my best of Medium feed and am usually the first to ignore a story about someone’s…