March saw me struggle my way through a world without chocolate. And it was fucking Easter - the time we celebrate Jesus sacrificing himself for his Dad Cadbury. However! I did manage to rekindle my love for live music and attended a few sweet live gigs. What’s this got to do with beer tokens?
But first we must delve into the key learnings from March:
- Hungover Benny loves drinking: It’s like I’ve got a big-titted Irish leprechaun whispering in my ear about how cool me or my alter-ego Willington was last night. I can just hear her quoting Peaches in my ear “Fuck the pain away Benny, have a beer you pussy”. It’s a battle, but I fight on! And as long as I get through the afternoon hump and the pain of watching everyone else having a good time, it generally turns into a hangover and the leprechaun’s boons are a distant memory.
- Watching football in my loungeroom is a great way to avoid drinking. I successfully did this a lot in Feb, sometimes draining 5 games a weekend. Now the sun’s starting to come out and I can hear the people of London starting to crank the frothometer, it will get tougher to avoid football in beer gardens.
(why am I doing this - learn below)
101 Beer Tokens: What I learned from ‘What I learned from not drinking for two years’
A few days ago I was checking my best of Medium feed and am usually the first to ignore a story about someone’s…
Could You be Loved?
Well. I wasn’t, and my drought with the ladies continued in Feb’. Willington however, picked up post Reggae gig, so go him!
- I’ve spent a fair whack of time in Caribbean countries and I do love a bit of reggae. But Lee Scratch Perry and his support acts (Including my buddy Ollie — Real Roots ) were off the chain. Post gig/max beers I had a black out and Willington did his thing. :)
- The other Reggae was delivered by none other than Fat Freddy’s Drop. Ahh shit, these guys are my go to for peacing out and have been for over ten years. But to the point- We got some Guest List deliciousness from my other buddy/ different Ollie, so we had access to a rapid fire bar. Post the gig we head to seek out some food when it becomes apparent I’m going to be a lone wolf shortly. As fate would have it I bump into my buddy Brighty in the Chicken shop and he tells me to meet him later at my old Local, The White Horse in Brixton…
- I get there, he’s gone, this has happened to me before a few times and most normal people would go home, but not me. I.e. once I was on my own drinking with some babes in a country town in Western Australia and thought I’d woo them by riding their bike up the road and then come flying back and do a mad skid at their feet . Turns out they thought I was stealing the bike and when I hit the mad skid I actually just mad stacked, ripped my jeans and grazed the fuck out of my arse.
- But back to this story: I thought fuck it, Brighty’s not here, let’s call Willington and before I knew it I wake up in a daze back home in north London with no recollection ;)Willington works in Mysterious ways.
Token Days Off — Drink Less, Live More
(The things you do instead of drinking are ALMOST the most important things you learn)
Plan a trip! Technically you can do this while drinking, but then you can do most things while drinking. But I’m off to my buddies wedding in Canada mid-year and have a week in front to decide what to do. The excuse of token game is enough for work colleagues and friends to stay off my back now. Little did they know that I stayed home on Friday to plan not only where I was going, but how I was going to use my tokens in June! Clever little token chief I am.
The Chocolate Challenge
- The big titted leprechaun brought me down this month and it’s not how you’d think. Here I was at a networking event on St Pat’s day week and there was free Guinness flowing. I stuck to my guns and avoided it, smashing orange juice and chips (crisps) when out of nowhere came these epic chocolate mud cake cupcakes. I didn’t think twice and was obliged to eat not one, but two as it was my divine right for not drinking. They were fucken delicious…. Two hours later I was at home on the couch and thought Fark! DONE IT AGAIN!
- Moral of the story is if I was Adam in the Garden of Eden, I woud’ve scoffed that apple one day after a big Netflix and chill session with Eve, and it wouldn’t have even been on purpose. I.e. this isn’t my fault people.
- I also may or may not have had a chocolate milk late one night while working back in the office. Firstly, I don’t even drink chocolate milk (ever!)as it’s shit here. And Secondly, fuck you chocolate milk. Thus I failed again and have x6 on my payment to a charity if I should fail ‘101 beer tokens’
El Coffee Fiasco
Second day into April and I’m testing myself in giving up Coffee for the month. Sooooo What do I do! Hungover me gets a big breakfast and smashes a coffee, only realising 5 hours later when I was in the shop and thought about getting an iced coffee. I reach for the door of the fridge when, wait a minute…IDIOT! Best make that x7 and a total £665 to charity.
March Stats: 1 failed challenge (2x instances), 5 Drinking Sessions. 4/5 tokens worth it. £315 spent in total.
For old posts:
96 Beer Tokens Remain — A First Month’s learnings
I managed to only drink five times over the past month*. This included a 15 day stretch of not a single drop of alcohol…